Saturday, July 9, 2016

Be Aware Of The Water Your Pup Is Swimming In


A few days ago, on the Danbury Animal Welfare Society Facebook page, I noticed a post announcing that the New Fairfield Beach was closed due to the presence of blue-green algae. This particular algae is harmful to both "hoomans" and pups because of a toxin it releases. These toxins can affect the liver and kidneys and can cause skin, eye and respiratory irritation. If you or your pup ingests blue-green algae, you may experience vomiting and diarrhea. It's a nasty algae all the way around.

With summer in full swing, this is a great reminder to be aware of the water you and your pup are swimming in. Before you allow your pup to run into a body of water, take the time to examine the condition of the water. These algae blooms aren't always visible at first glance. It's better to be safe than sorry.

For more detailed information on blue-green algae, check out the Blue-Green Algae Blooms information page from the Department of Energy & Environmental Protection.


No comments:

Post a Comment