A year ago, this coming week, while visiting one of our favorite shelters to deliver biscuit love, the universe shifted. Fate stepped in. Lisa held a sweet lil' nugget o' pup love whom we had spent time with before. However, on this particular day, the universe did one its lil' shimmy shake, decided it was time and, long story short, we left the shelter with our Sophie.
It was the weekend before the Fourth of July. Prior to Sophie joining our family, it was just the three of us. Lisa. Myself. Coco bug. The first Fourth of July, we stayed home to determine how well, or not so well, Coco handled the sound of fireworks and other Fourth of July festivities. Aside from running from room to room, and trying to look out the window to see what was going on, he didn't show signs of distress. The same held true for thunderstorms. The following year, we escaped for a couple of hours to attend a fireworks display.
The year after, when our sweet Sophie joined the family, we had Fourth of July plans. A few days after bringing her home, there was a thunderstorm. She did not handle it well. Even before the storm hit us in full force, and the sound of thunder could barely be heard from a distance, Sophie shook as if having a seizure and attempted to hide in every nook possible. In the days to follow, when neighbors shot off fireworks in their yard, and the sound of public firework displays could be heard, it was obvious we would not be leaving the house to watch fireworks or attend festive gatherings. We cancelled our plans and stayed put.
And we were fine with that. Lisa and I are in our 40's. We've seen at least a hundred or so firework displays in our lifetime. Although we both love the loud explosions and excitement, after a certain point, they become redundant. So, if we had to hunker down the weekend before, of and after the Fourth of July, so be it.
Towards the end of last week, the weather wasn't looking so promising for our June 13th. Not only did we have an event with the Friends of Windsor Animal Care & Control, before heading home, we had plans to stop at an appreciation party hosted by the amazing people at Kenway's Cause and The Hartford Animal Shelter. I had been looking forward to meeting everyone and being amid this group of "hoomans" since the moment we had been invited.
Friday evening, Lisa and I discussed plan B. I'd stay home with the fur-kids, prepare for Sunday's event in New London, and Lisa would head to Windsor to run our table and attend the party.
Saturday morning arrived and the clouds were dark. No change in the forecast. Lisa held off leaving for as long as she could. At 7:05 a.m. she bid her farewells and rode off. All 3 of our fur-kids were sitting on the bed giving me their best "we love you, mommy" face. I snuggled with them for a bit and we went about our day. I worked. They went back to sleep.
Although the sky darkened something fierce, it didn't storm. No regrets in our decision to go with plan B. The safety and well being of the fur-kids is our priority. Lisa ran the table with gusto and had a wonderful afternoon with the Friends of Windsor Animal Care & Control and neighboring vendor. Later that day she had the opportunity to meet some awesome "hoomans" from Kenway's Cause and the Hartford Animal Shelter. We are exceptionally grateful for the exceptional hospitality, support, kindness and generosity.
On Saturday, June 20th, we'll be back in Windsor for their "Summer Kickoff Fundraiser" at Bart's Drive-In and The Beanery Bistro. And, it looks as if the weather is going to cooperate.
We're keeping our fingers and toes crossed. After all, this is New England.